Thread: Kalama

Kalama

Fished the Kalama today caught one hatchery buck released it. Also hit the Grays river and Ellochoman could use a little rain but a fun day. Anybody with good info on Kalama would appreciate any help.

Sounds like you have been doing better than most on the Kalama.. I fish it twice a week once from my Drift boat and the other day from the bank. I havent touched a fish since December 27th. That was a hot Native hen..I have only seen one fish landed since then and that was last friday and it was a native..I love that river but it's been slow. Not that any other river in SW washington has been hot..

Tight lines!
    Joe
    The tug is the drug!

Thanks Joe we where up by the boundary never been there before talked to a fly guy who said he had caught a couple natives and his buddy had lost one. Hows the summer run down there? we fish the Cowlitz and the Green but always looking for another spot close to home looks like a great river.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonthump View Post
    Thanks Joe we where up by the boundary never been there before talked to a fly guy who said he had caught a couple natives and his buddy had lost one. Hows the summer run down there? we fish the Cowlitz and the Green but always looking for another spot close to home looks like a great river.

I don't fish the kalama much in the summer, it gets a little low for me. I did catch one summer Steelie there last year..I end up fishing the Sandy and the Deschutes in the summer.The Kalama is a great river. Maybe I will see you there!
    The tug is the drug!

I consider the Kalama my home river. I love it because motors a not allowed, peaceful. The canyon is also beautiful. If you want to fish a lot of it, you need a boat. I like to put in at Red Barn, and have Allan shuttle me to the camp ground. To me, the best winter fishing is mid January through mid March. Then the summer runs trickle in. You can not normally get a drift boat through after the beginning of June, due to low water. But that just depends on the rain.

Enjoy the bite and keep your lines tight!

fished the Kalama late Feb- not even a bite. went out with Mark Ervig in December- skunked. seems like a tough season.

kalama

Quote Originally Posted by nffnorthwest View Post
    fished the Kalama late Feb- not even a bite. went out with Mark Ervig in December- skunked. seems like a tough season.

We are going to drift from the slab hole down tomorrow, we will see how we do! My luck we will hook into a bunch of springers! :/
    The tug is the drug!

one of my favorite rivers all ways enjoy catching fish on the kalama

Caught my first 2 Washington state salmon staying at a campground on the Kalama river in 1995.
    This was after spending a month west of Seattle. What a joy!!

Both fish were fresh with sea lice.

there are a few fish at modrow bridge.

PM with what you want to know, its my home river, know it extremely well! You don't need a boat, just good footing and the willingness to do some hiking.
    Last edited by kalamagabe; 02-12-2015 at 03:09 PM.