Thread: Russian River

Russian River

Hey guys,

The Russian is starting to come in, we have about 2 k steelhead that have arrived at the hatchery so far, The River needs about another week to be perfect for fly water. 1-15-13

Looks like Carl has the corner on the Russian so I'll only add that they can still be a fish of 1000 casts on this river. Last year a gentleman said to me, "It sure isn't fishing like it did in the 60's". I simply responded, yep, you're right about that. The steelhead in the Russian have never been known to hang around in one place very long, that's why it's called a run. If you're lucky enough to find them once don't expect them to be in the same spot a week later.

Dang, I'm ready for the winter run. My smoker is getting tired of ELT's and Salmon.

They breached the mouth last Thursday 12/5 and it blew out on Friday 12/6. Fished around DM this am for one hatch hen. She was pretty lethargic. I expected that since the Seals and Sea Lions appeared to be feeding pretty well and pushing the fish up faster than they need to go to adjust their livers. I'm going to give them another week at least (maybe two) to adjust to the fresh water before I go again. They won't be moving very fast while that's going on and won't be very hungry.

I was floating a yarn ball (steelhead orange/cerise with a chartreuse trailer, (barbless circle hook) running 18-36" under a sliding bobber and working the tail outs. I got her close enough to examine and then twitched her loose. Good looking bright fish with a half way clipped adipose.

As a side note - Hauling out a contractors garbage bag full of trash will impress the neighbors and please do not trespass.

Watch for closures this winter. They're talking about cutting flows due to the drought. Call the hotline before you head out. The phone numbers are on the DFW website.

What would be perfect no water?

From earlier this month, after mouth opened for a few days

[ATTACH=CONFIG]934[/ATTACH]

hoping they open the mouth of river this week, last weekend was dead, nothing moving