Keep it Clean, Folks!

Below is a letter we received from a subscriber doing his part. Let's all do our part and clean up our states!!

January 12, 2013

Dear Sirs,

I've noticed a problem in the last few years and don't know how to get the ball rolling to curtail it. My name is Todd Sannar and I've been an outdoorsman all my life and try to always respect our woods and water, but there is an awful lot of people that don't.

My family and I spend a lot of time on the Wallowa, Grande Ronde and other Northeastern Oregon rivers and the litter seems to get worse every year. We find everything from worm containers to dirty baby diapers and anything in between. This is happening along the highway to places you have to walk several miles to get to. It was very disgusting during archery season in the Chesnimnus Unit. People were relieving themselves on the road and leaving their toilet paper and waste exposed. You can just imagine what shape they left their camp sites in.

In Montana they have strict laws concerning littering. I have taken this directly from Montana"s Regulation :"Littering: A person convicted of littering while hunting, fishing, trapping, or camping may lose his or her license and privileges to hunt, fish, trap, and or camp within Montana for a period of one year."

I believe if we could get something to this effect in the state of Oregon it would make people think twice about littering. If there was a possibility of losing their preference points they have built up for big game tags so much the better. Right now there isn't much incentive for them not to pack their trash out.

I would appreciate anything you can do to help this along. I will be sending this along to several organizations, Congressmen, Senators and newspapers.

Sincerely,

Todd Sannar

What a great idea! I get sick and tired of picking up after other people. I'm always amazed that folks who will take the time and effort to get to some beautiful and out of the way places don't have enough respect to pack out what they pack in. I shouldn't have to pick up after others, but I'll continue to pack out more that I pack in. If all of us that give a rip did the same it would add up and might even give some dopes pause if the areas they find them selves in were pristine to begin with. I think the idea could go even further, say a year ban from the outdoors if you can't respect her.

Great idea. The problem is catching these knuckleheads. Most of the litter left behind is not stuff that would easily identify the litterbug and if they are going to litter, they are probably not going to do it when someone is (obviously) watching. If they are observed from a position of stealth, then great, light 'em up and cite 'em! In this era of budget cuts, the folks tasked with enforcing the rules and regs have a full plate already. Adding more to the plate may not be realistic, but if people step up and observe suspicious behavior, make a note of license numbers, descriptions of suspects, etc., existing litter laws may be enough to punish those folks into cleaning up after themselves next time.

I'm with you fellas. I hate picking up after people, but I can't just walk by garbage and not do something about it. I'd sure love to stumble across someone leaving their crap along a stream - they'd never do it again after I snapped a few pictures and turned them in!

I got to wondering if there was a way to track some of this garbage back to the owner (bar codes, finger prints, etc), but then folks would probably start whining about individual's rights, privacy, civil liberties, etc.

If cited perpetrators were publicly identified and humiliated in newspapers and forums like this, I think it would have an affect. Nobody likes to get fingered and publicly chastised!

There's got to be a way to stop this behavior.

I do regular river cleanups, and am disgusted by littering. It should be a sin and a larger fine, but it's not so, I'll keep picking up after them on my home rivers. I'm actually noticing a good trend in the Portland-area, the worst litter offenders are the splash and giggle crowd, and angers seem to be getting better at picking up after themselves. The public land in the Molalla watershed is night and day difference. Good old fashioned law enforcement and land owner presence did the heavy lifting to turn a place littered with household trash, human excrement, tires, appliances, burned out stolen vehicles, pot and meth production, vandalism ... into a place that is now not marred by that kind of lawlessness. Sadly enough, bait containers are still the evidence of anglers littering I find most.

As mentioned above, it seems the biggest trouble is catching/prosecuting the offenders. We have to be careful who we approach (and how) as citizens without any actual authority. Officials are far and few between compared to the vastness of the great outdoors. I also pack out crap I find along the river. It is sad indeed. If you ever see those pictures of a fish that got stuck growing up with a beer pull tab stuck around his girth or waterfowl with a plastic 6 pack holder stuck around their neck you want the offending party to have to wear it the same way.
    One big thing we all can do is teach by example to our fishing friends and children.
    I've spent most of my life hunting and fishing, the rest I just wasted.

Perhaps a different type of "tagging" program can be advocated. With everyone having a better and better camera on their phone, perhaps a DNR address to mail such photos with the date, time, and body of water the littering took place at, could then be posted by location, so a person could look up there favorite stream and see if there is anything listed and someone they may recognize. One wouldn't want this to turn into some sort of Youtube unanimous free-for-all. I would think folks would need to include their name (for DNR eyes only) along with a auto responder email back to their email where they would verify they did indeed email this.

Shawn

"Be good to the fish and the fish will be good to you.”
    Last edited by IMFSHN; 03-19-2014 at 11:30 AM.

Of course a simple well designed graphic on a post at some of the main waterway accesses used by most anglers, reminding them to Leave No Trace would be a good start.

Maybe a nice salmon line art with something on the lines of:

"You wouldn't leave garbage
    on your floor at home
    - don't leave it on theirs either.

Pack out what you pack in."

I do like Montana's statute mentioned above. That or have them put in time on highway/riverway cleanup projects like they have some inmates do around here, would probably be better in that they have to earn back the privilege to fish in the state.

Shawn

Be good to the fish and the fish will be good to you.”

Responsible behavior comes out of awareness and modeling. Early influence is the same here as it is when introducing you child to any sport or activity. It always makes a big impression spending time with someone who's "lit up" about an activity - it's contageous. Look for opportunities to take kids fishing and in the process of sharing your passion for fishing and the wonders of nature, you will also be modeling LNT and ecologically supportive behaviors they will remember in the future.

Shawn

Be good to the fish and the fish will be good to you.”

Nice saying,Responsible behavior comes out of awareness and Modeling.Fishing should be done in discipline and it needs to be taught.