Thread: Gear HELP!

Gear HELP!

Members, use this thread to ask about gear questions.

Looking for a spare oar for my drift boat. Don't want to spend $150-$200 on a oar I will hopefully never have to use. Any help on place to find used oars. In live in the Eugene area. Thanks

I would put something on Craigslist in the boat section. "Looking for spare used drift boat oar"... You could call some of the drift boat manufacturers and see if they have some used ones. I know guides do a lot of trade-ins with the manufacturers and maybe they might have some old used ones.

Maybe try Mark Angel, he's always scraping drift boats off the bottom of the Deschutes river at whitehorse? I have no idea how to contact him. Or just camp out below those rapids this summer I'm sure one will float by you. Salvage is FREE

Hey there, have any of you found an oar tip that will replace the Carlisle tips, they sink on the Carlisle's and I'm looking for a set that will float the oars when you let them rest in the locks.
    Big Wave Dave

[ATTACH=CONFIG]152[/ATTACH]

If you are talking about keeping your oars in place while you are anchored these clips work really nicely. You can place the oars in them while you are casting from your boat I would highly not recommend floating in the current without your hands on the oars. Go to www.riverconnection.com and check them out. They may have the covers you are looking for or can help you find them?

The image I attached may not quit be the holder I was thinking of because the mount is rounded? You attach the holder to the front of each side of your boat and lift your oars up and it them while anchored. I have been with quit a few guides that use holders like this.

Here's a question for you, now that we have to use barbless hooks on the Columbia, what hooks would you suggest for use on quik fish? The guys on Comcasts Outdoor GPS say to change out the trebles to single siwash, as the trebles do not have long enough hooks to be effective without the barbs. Any advice? Thanks

Hi Jimboh,

I love my plugs for fall Columbia fish. Trebles without barbs may be a recipe for disaster? I have always used the barbed trebles and there are occasions when the middle treble acts like a crowbar and pops the hook inside the mouth out and the fish swims away. With the barbs gone this problem worsens. Also trebles can have a tendency to pop loose when a fish makes a mad dash from the left side of the boat to the right and the line tension moves from one side of its mouth to the other. However, we are not talking about a gob of eggs here and a single hook. Plugs wiggle and often times chinook take them sideways. Is a single siwash going to stick in that situation or a treble?

Look at this picture below. Pretend my hand is the fishes mouth and it just took the plug sideways (cause we don't live in a perfect world).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553[/ATTACH]

So, think about this for ONE second. Tie some 50lb mono to your buddies 2-inch receiver and the other end to the plug. Hold the plug like so (above) and tell him to floor his engine. Are you going to feel more at ease with a siwash single between your fingers or that nasty looking treble? You decide...

Maybe run a single off the back and a treble up front? I am going to do some testing for sure.

One thing I have found is if you use heavier line and the barbless trebles set the hook really hard and horse the fish in fast. Have the net ready and don't miss. Also not a bad idea when sea lions are in the vicinity. It saddens me when i take a novice fishing cause you need to know what you are doing to horse a fish in correctly and keep the line tight. I find myself gritting my teeth when I am trying to get a newbie into a fish and I know the odds are stacked against them without any barbs

Thanks Tony, like you I guess I will have to do some trial and error fishing. I did think about trying the treble on front and single off the back. Think I will try that and see how it goes.

looking for advice on a GOOD halibut reel.I got my eye on the shimano tekota TEK700 what do ya think???

Hi Bythesea,
    Just talked to Robert at Fishermens. He says the TEK700 is a great reel, but it can only go about 400 feet with 80lb line. So if you are fishing any deeper it may not work. Also a little less expensive are the Penn 330 or 320. If you want to go crazy you could take a look at the Shimano Torium, it has gears for faster retrieval and he says is pretty bullet proof. I hope that helps.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Amato View Post
    Hi Bythesea,
    Just talked to Robert at Fishermens. He says the TEK700 is a great reel, but it can only go about 400 feet with 80lb line. So if you are fishing any deeper it may not work. Also a little less expensive are the Penn 330 or 320. If you want to go crazy you could take a look at the Shimano Torium, it has gears for faster retrieval and he says is pretty bullet proof. I hope that helps.
    Tony

thanks, for the Info Tony I like crazy&bullet proof so I went with the Torium 30 it'll hold about 500/yds 80# braid.If I break-off I wont have to re-spool.now I just need so line $$$$.....Fish-On

GPS/COMBOS : I really need some good choices here or (one) would be nice.I'm going insane and these short foggy days are passing me by.My cheap fishfinder broke and I need an upgrade I was told to check-out lowrance elite 5 ,but the reviews don't seem that great.I fish the rivers and I like to cross the bar on good day's. It's like I only have 1 shot to get this right.THANKS,THIS is my choice Garmin 441S I guess IT's all the pixels and watts that I can't figure out.[ATTACH=CONFIG]660[/ATTACH] P.S. this is just about too much money,but need be I'll make it work.
    Last edited by bythesea; 08-13-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Hi Bythesea,
    I just texted Robert (Manager) at Fishermen's in OC. I will get you some feedback...
    Tony

Ok,
    Robert said to call Larry at the OC store. He is the electronics guru and can help you out.
    503-557-3313

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Amato View Post
    Ok,
    Robert said to call Larry at the OC store. He is the electronics guru and can help you out.
    503-557-3313

all right,I'll give him a call.Thanks, for the name and # ....

Hey guys,

I don't know much about quick fish rods. Can somebody explain to me what to look for in purchasing one?

I been told you want a very soft tip, others say the whole rod needs to be soft?

I now own a Loomis hot shot rod is that worth using with a quick fish?

Thanks in advance

Carl Blackledge

Hi Carl,
    Medium-Heavy/action with a reasonably fast tip. In heavy current with divers it can pull pretty hard out the sides of the boat. You can use a lighter shorter rod off the center transom of the boat. For sure longer rods out the sides.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by jimboh View Post
    Here's a question for you, now that we have to use barbless hooks on the Columbia, what hooks would you suggest for use on quik fish? The guys on Comcasts Outdoor GPS say to change out the trebles to single siwash, as the trebles do not have long enough hooks to be effective without the barbs. Any advice? Thanks

I use a Maruto Barbless Treble with a three ball Swivel Chain for more effective hookups. The Maruto is a semi-barbless design that is a legal Barbless per both Oregon and Washington. This bead chain also works with a Siwash for more effective hookups as well. Hope this helps some.