Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rigs HELP!

It works well under the float..first started fishing it like that in the early 80's....

Quote Originally Posted by LowDrag View Post
    STS ran an article many years ago about building a spinner using split rings and barrel swivels with a #2 blade. It was set up to run under a float. I have one around here somewhere...if I can find I will post a pic of it here.

Okay...I finally found the spinner. Now, I have not actually caught fish on this rig (only because I don't fish spinners much) but I have met other fisherman that used it when the article came out and say it works really good. Here is the picture of the spinner. The blade is actually nickel not sure why it came out looking gold. The hook is a number 2 Gami.

[IMG]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m272/whodini64/Dave%20Fishing/DSC02061_zps729fa6ae.jpg[/IMG]

You run this under a float like a jig and it spins like a spinner. This spinner is also featured in the Amato Publications Float Fishing for Steelhead DVD. IIRC it is in the section where Matt Giguet (?) is float fishing in BC.
    Last edited by LowDrag; 02-26-2013 at 06:52 PM.

Did not see the article but that spinner is called a "Colorado"

Interresting clevis on that thing. I think I'd rather use bearing type barrel swivels. Would probably spin a little more freely...

It is meant to be something lite that an just be thrown together the entire thing wiggles and turns in a spaztic action, which is probably why it works well

Quote Originally Posted by The Steel Deal View Post
    Interresting clevis on that thing. I think I'd rather use bearing type barrel swivels. Would probably spin a little more freely...

on the video that I gave you there is a similar setup....

Quote Originally Posted by LowDrag View Post
    Okay...I finally found the spinner. Now, I have not actually caught fish on this rig (only because I don't fish spinners much) but I have met other fisherman that used it when the article came out and say it works really good. Here is the picture of the spinner. The blade is actually nickel not sure why it came out looking gold. The hook is a number 2 Gami.

[IMG]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m272/whodini64/Dave%20Fishing/DSC02061_zps729fa6ae.jpg[/IMG]

You run this under a float like a jig and it spins like a spinner. This spinner is also featured in the Amato Publications Float Fishing for Steelhead DVD. IIRC it is in the section where Matt Giguet (?) is float fishing in BC.

I have found that the spinner rigged that style fish fine in a cast retrieve system... clevis wire only system, fish much better under a float... they spin much easier in slow water un a float.... I need to figure out how to post pictues..... ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gooeybob View Post
    I have found that the spinner rigged that style fish fine in a cast retrieve system... clevis wire only system, fish much better under a float... they spin much easier in slow water un a float.... I need to figure out how to post pictues..... ?

I use PhotoBucket myself. I have not quite figured out why everyone is so up in arms about it. I find it just as easy to use now as before they "upgraded".

Pink worms
    Whats the best way to fish and rig them?

K. LaRue,
    There is a photo of the worm and bobber rig on one of the older threads. It doesn't show the line. Just use some braided mainline 15-20lb a small barrel swivel and some 10 or 12lb mono leader about two feet. Put the sliding bobber on the braided line above the swivel and away you go. This braided line/mono leader will save you lots of bobbers when you snag up and if you snag up a lot you are fishing too deep. In water 3-5 feet deep get just off the bottom. In deeper water start at about 3 feet and slowly lengthen your depth until you are close to the bottom. Steelhead like to suspend in deeper green water about 5 to 7 feet from the surface. If it's arctic cold then they head for the deepest holes and hunker down til things warm up.

I have to ask, How do you thread them down a leader? I have fished them on the loop which I'm not sure I like, as well as tying them in the hook and also have an egg loop for those times I do want to add a bait, I.E. eggs, S. Shrimp or a bit of Coonie which at some times can increase bites.

Thanks for any input;
    Brad

Some use the good ol' worm threader that has been around for ever, others use a doll needle. These both work great if you like to pre rig a bunch of stuff to have it ready to go out in a boat. Myself, I don't like taking up that much space. I take a pack of worms and some pre tied leaders tied up with an egg loop on a #2 octopus hook. I thread the worm up around the bend of the hook and up the leader. Takes me about a minute and a half. I use about 1/8" of yarn in the loop to keep the worm from sliding back through the hook and getting all bunched up. All this cuts down on the amount of stuff that I have to carry around with me in a fishing vest.

Hey guys, my wife and I are going to be fishing for spring chinook, later this month on the Sandy and maybe Clackamas. What size hooks should we use for drift fishing/float fishing, also questions on bait type? Thanks again Tony, for all your help. I know my original thread disappeared after the computer crash.

Hi Idaho Steel,
    Use an egg/sand shrimp cocktail. Here is a picture of the approximate size of the eggs without a sand shrimp. When you add the sand shrimp just tear it in half and add it to the egg loop. Use a 4/0 red hook 25lb leader. Bring some spinners/spoons and plugs as well... Springers/Summers love the hardware in the river.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]542[/ATTACH]

Chinook fishing has been on the tough side so far this spring, so don't forget to bring the summer steelhead gear as well...

Thanks for all your help! Do you use yarn, and what size corky or none?

If you are hanging it from a bobber I don't think a corky is necessary. No Yarn.

What size of bobber is best for salmon? Half oz., 1 oz. etc. I want to be prepared when I come to Oregon. Thank you.

Hi Idaho Steel,
    A #3 Thill slip bobber should do the trick.
    Tony

both ways catch fish, I start with no scent then experiment with what they want, Crawdad is excellent for steelies by the way.

That is a great looking glob of eggs Tony. I'm getting excited for the bobber and egg show.

Yep,
    Egg-time is just around the corner...

Does anybody know where to get some 5/16' surgical tubing fishermans has the 1/4' and 3/8' but no 5/16' ? Im thinking that the .300 shot for slinkys will fit and stay in the 5/16' tubing. Thanks for any thoughts and advice .

Quote Originally Posted by Williesteel23 View Post
    Does anybody know where to get some 5/16' surgical tubing fishermans has the 1/4' and 3/8' but no 5/16' ? Im thinking that the .300 shot for slinkys will fit and stay in the 5/16' tubing. Thanks for any thoughts and advice .

Try Bi-Mart... I think it'll work

If legal I always put a shot of scent on the yarnies. Shrimp, anise or egg scent have been effective.

I thread mine onto the leader with a needle. I like to put a clear sequin first to keep it from going over the hook then I'll drift fish them like a bait of eggs. I will sometimes dip the in pautzkes nectar, it works great and you can make a ton of casts with them.

To answer the original question about scent, have caught fish both ways, but have to believe that scent can't hurt on yarn balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin1950 View Post
    Tony, I've never fished those little fur balls before but I would rig them like we did when chasing BIG Bows in Alaska, bouncing single beads.
    Thread your leader through them and peg them about 2-3 inches above the hook. Easy way to peg them is to use one of those cheap "tubed" bobber stops on the leader before the yarn ball. Then ya can adjust the distance between the hook/ball.

That is a good suggestion to use the cheap bobber stops always saving them things now I have a great use for them. Thanks

If nothing else, the scents mask human odor. If I'm not wearing my nitrile gloves, I use scent. If I am wearing my nitrile gloves, I sometimes use scent, but sometimes not, and haven't noticed a big difference..