Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rigs HELP!

Rigs HELP!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]122[/ATTACH]

Got a friend that just tied up some new yarn balls. Two questions:

1. Is it better to drift them after soaking in scent or just fish them straight up.
    2. What is the best way to rig them. Put in egg loop, threaded down leader.

Any knowledge would help.

Thanks,
    Tony

Tony . I would think you could write the questions and give the answers.
    1. When I tie my hook before I make my first wraps I make a and the short tag end is the draw string for that. I finish wrapping my egg loop, Then I put the yarn ball in the loop, pull tight with pliers. And trim off the tag.
    2. I always us scent. I thinks steal head will hit them without they just hold on longer or will come back for it.
    3. Here is a you tube video that shows basically what I do. At least the loop is that same.
    4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwYSF...eature=related

Thanks Nomad,
    My brother Nick side drifts them on occasion and he doesn't use scent. Bobber dogged out of a boat a few years back and he tossed out a yarn ball drift rig and got out a real can of whoopass on us. I just personally haven't used em much so I was looking for some extra feedback. Just woke up and my head doesn't hurt I'm gonna go back troll some plugs in the willamette I'll post the results later.
    Happy New Year,
    T

No problem Tony. What I like about the set up in the video is you can add egg without having to mess with you yarnie cause they are in differant loops.

I use them as stated by Nomad but don't use scent. It's just to messy. I dog them under a float or drift them usually with eggs.

Whats "dog them" mean?

Side-drifting with a bobber (Bobber Doggin).

Hi Tony,
    Just about to put in a order for my kwikfish and have a couple questions... Does the K-9 work for low/med water conditions as well as the K-11
    In CND we have a single barbless hook regulation..so do you rig the Kwik fish the same as Hot shots..the rear of the plug with a small swivel then the hook or use the upper eyelet with the swivel hook ?

I have used the K11 in clear water and greenish high water and have had success. A little smaller in clear water may not be a bad idea.

You may want to experiment with where you put the single hook. See the image below... Obviously these are not K11s.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]156[/ATTACH]

If you can use bait, you can wrap a sandshrimp tail to the large single hook with stretchy thread. Not too much or you may effect the action of the plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Amato View Post
    I have used the K11 in clear water and greenish high water and had success. A little smaller in clear water may not be a bad idea. Yes, run the hook off the back end with a swivel and if you can use bait you can also attach a piece of sandshrimp to the hook with stretchy thread. Try to turn the single hook upward so it sets in the top of the steelheads mouth.

Most systems on the island have a bait ban on it ... but there is one system that I can try the shrimp ...I would hav ethought the shrimp would impied the action of the plug...thank you

I want to see some opinions about this...... Braided main line to spoons or spinners. Do you use a leader or not? Have you noticed any difference in catching steelhead/salmon? I am no using the High Vis Yellow main lines, but moss green or marine blue in the Super 8. I do not think a leader is that important. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I confuse myself by using a floro leader when I do the bobber/Jig thing!

Do you think a snap swivel improves spoon or spinner action or just use a swivel up the line and direct tie to the spoon or spinner?

Hi MyConcreteGuy,

I have the answers for you

Spoons/Spinners: In green water like the Deschutes I was using some braided with a barrel swivel and a short mono leader. However I went with a friend one time and he was also using braided with the mono leader and he ran out of leader so he tied his braided straight to his hardware and guess what he hooked three steelhead with his braided line and no leader and we were using yellow braided mainline 20lb. So I decided what the heck I will put on a snap swivel and run the yellow braided to my spoon as well and guess what I hooked fish. The other added benefits were when I snagged up my hardware I could literally yank my spoon right out of a snag and not loose it I even snagged about 4 spinners off of the bottom and ended up with more hardware than when I started. And when I lost my stuff I didn't need to waste time re-tying more mono onto the barrel/snap swivel etc. and had more time in the water. My conclusion is that the fish would key in on the flash so intensely that they didn't even notice the line. However, If the water is crystal clear and low putting on the mono/floro leader I think would be a must.

Plugs: Pretty much the same conclusion. My daughters boy friend went out with a friend of his back trolling some plugs and had some great fishing. We went together on the next trip and I noticed that he was also tying his braided (yellow) straight to his snap swivel and was catching fish... So once again I joined in and we lost one fish and caught another with the yellow braided going straight to our plugs. But, like I said if the water is crystal clear I would ad a mono leader.

Bobber Jig: Honestly I always run a barrel and some mono leader to my jig. Fish that hit jigs are usually doing the casual take down so they may see your braided? I would stick with some mono/ floro when bobber/jig fishing...

Harware/Plugs: With spinners and spoons always run a snap swivel or your line will get twisted up. With a plug you only need a snap. You can run two snaps to your plugs to increase their action. I always use two snaps on my large salmon plugs for action and its much easier to leave one on your plug and one on your leader line when you go to reconnect the rig.

I hope that answers your questions...

And just so you know I'm not talking out of my "ASS" Here's a photo from a few days ago green water yellow braided to plug...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]213[/ATTACH]

Thanks Tony, I have always wanted to eliminate the leader. Now I will and can do it with confidence. Which is what we all need - when we go out looking for that $75 per pound plus fish!

Spoon fish with braid for 20 years..... Personal feel the mono leader is really imporant as a shock absorber for the insane grabs that you get on spoons... If Im using hi-vis braid I put a 4 ft tag line on it ,swivel then the leader... 30lb braid..20lb tag line ...15lb Mono leader...... just my 2 bits

Hi Gooeybob,
    Did you get your new plugs out in the water yet? Did you notice the hardware above

so what color and size plugs do you use in dirty water 2-2.5 feet visability when fishing from shore (or boat)

Hartford, MI., 20 minutes to Lake Michigan

1. Is it better to drift them after soaking in scent or just fish them straight up.

Thanks,
    Tony

Tony, I've never fished those little fur balls before but I would rig them like we did when chasing BIG Bows in Alaska, bouncing single beads.
    Thread your leader through them and peg them about 2-3 inches above the hook. Easy way to peg them is to use one of those cheap "tubed" bobber stops on the leader before the yarn ball. Then ya can adjust the distance between the hook/ball.
    "Sometimes I'm out for the fish, sometimes I'm out for the fishing" Ziggy

I never soak them in any scents and land tons of fish. Sometimes if I feel like it ill put a small bit of eggs on with the yarnie
    Fins and Scales

Suspend them under a bobber slide yarnie on leader above hook fish plain no scent place a couple small split shot on the leader. Peg bobber at 7' and fish This is the only way I fish and I have hooked fish every trip this season. It's an easy way for me to fish with clients less snags and more fish

Thanks,
    Tony
    Fins and Scales

Hi Gooeybob,
    Did you get your new plugs out in the water yet? Did you notice the hardware above

Just got out a couple times with my friend pulling on the sticks...Pulled some Hot shots in a couple of the runs but nothing yet on the plugs. I'm grabbing some of the ones you suggested shortly...Have to order stuff like that in up here...not much of a plug pulling community...

Hi, I have been using the hand painted kwikfish and mag lips that Larry Larue ( Looney Lures) with great success. You can vary the types based on the water, but the Suzi Q has been hot in the Kalama and the Lewis.

Hey Tony.... would you know where a guy could get spinner blades that are 50/50 gold/silver splite down the middle?

I think Pen-Tac has them. Tell them STS sent ya

(530) 841-0904

http://www.pen-tac.com/blades.html

[ATTACH=CONFIG]319[/ATTACH]

Nice Thank you.....did not even think of them..still have about 3oo of the orginal Bill Herzog spoons... oopps they don't work....

I sure am a firm believer in scent on yarnies. I like sand shrimp or anise on the coastal streams. This has proven to be pretty productive for me.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]333[/ATTACH]

Hi Tony
    Have not used the french blade before.... what size blade would you recomend for small to med. size river ? #3

For steelies most of my friends and I use #4. #5 are more salmon sized. I suppose you could grab a few #3 and try them out, but they are pretty small and don't have much weight to them for casting. What type body are you going with?

Just a wire body no weight... I run them under a float with splite shot then the blade..... really killer way to fish them....

STS ran an article many years ago about building a spinner using split rings and barrel swivels with a #2 blade. It was set up to run under a float. I have one around here somewhere...if I can find I will post a pic of it here.
    Last edited by LowDrag; 02-26-2013 at 05:43 PM.