Boat/Trailer HELP!

Members, use this thread for help with boats and trailors.

Pontoon help

Looking for ideas and suggestions on how to set my 9' pontoon for river fishing, anchor size ,the best way to hook up an anchor any info will help, dos and dont's also.

My anchore is a 10# pyramid. I have a scotty Anchore . removed the rope lock they have on it and put a Cleat rope lock centered below my seat.

I need help finding a valve for my water skeeter pontoon anyone know where to order one I need one asap

Try www.riverconnection.com they might be able to help or "oar" you in the right direction.

Thanks Tony they have valves just need to call and make sure they are the right ones. Good site for inflateables know any more I'm always interested thanks again.

Andy and Bax might have parts as well. They are in downtown Portland.

thanks Tony the people at river connection were a great help and I have the valve on the way. Thanks, fisherman helping fisherman thats what the site is all about hats off and a cold beer to you for all your help, Awesome to watch the site grow

Tip: Do you have trouble getting your bunked trailer to load your boat correctly? Does it seem to always load off to one side?

Check your bunks, some dealers will load boats on a trailer and will leave the bunks pivot mounts loose so the weight of the boat can adjust them to it's bottom.

The first thing to verify is that your boat is on the trailer and centered with the end of the bunks even with the transom. Once you have that then loosen the bunks swivel bolts so the bunks can settle on the correct position for the bottom. Loosen the bolts even if they look right.

The two (or more if you have more than two bunks) at the rear should have two bolts each. The front swivels should have a single bolt. Secure the front ones but do not over tighten because you could crush the flanges. Tighten up the rears to the appropriate torque for the bolt size and grade. There are too many different bolt sizes and grades to put all that info in this post but you can search for it on the internet.

Once you've done this quick little fix and then launch and retrieve your boat you should find that the boat now finds the sweet spot by itself.

You might be so amazed how well this works that you'll consider removing your guide on's. Don't. Those will still do the job of getting you close enough to hit the sweet spot and are a god send on windy day's or the rivers.

I like my bunks to sit just inside or just outside of one of the strakes (raised lengthwise ribs along bottom of the boat).
    With the bunks tight to them you can get it on straighter than if the bunk is centered between them in a flat area.

Also, If you want to lift the boat while it is on the trailer, you can do so with an automotive jack. Put a one or two foot section of 2x8 lumber on top of the jack and carefully lift the boat by the keel. This will allow you to make adjustments to the bunks (or rollers) on your trailer without having to go launch the boat to work on the trailer.
    I've spent most of my life hunting and fishing, the rest I just wasted.

Tony,there's a lot of options out there for off shore boats.I'm ready to get out of the river (not completely) for tuna,halibut.good used aluminum boats are over 30k.so maybe fiberglass, trophy's and stripers are affordable but reviews don't allways seem that great.whataya think?,,,If your willing to travel and you keep your eye's open there's gradys,pro-line,dorys,--(arima's-hard to find). I'm just not sure ,20,21,22' and then there's weight,mtr,and fuel..I could really use some help here....AnyBody??,,,Thank's

bythesea,

I used to have a 20ft Fiberform that I ran out of Depot Bay for Salmon. It was a high sided boat with a heat transfer unit in front of the engine. These units don't allow salt-water to run through the block and heads. So essentially you have your lower unit with its impeller and it sends the cold salt water through the heat transfer unit (its a metal tube with a radiator inside it. The water pump on the engine sends coolant through the inside of the heat transfer unit and back into the block. You fill the block with water and radiator fluid just as you would your car or truck. For an outboard get a marine engine. They are normally colored blue. Marine outboards are build with blocks that resist corrosion. What i am getting at there is don't by a boat that has an engine that was not properly protected from salt. Engines would be your biggest concern.

As far as boats go, just get something with high sides and 22ish feet long (or more). If it's older than 20ish years (fiberglass) it may have wooden main beams at the bottom of the hull that may be rotten. First sign of this is the motor mounts are beginning to come loose and the engine is sitting at a slant. To check for this just bring a flat screwdriver and poke the fiberglas around the mounts. That's why my Fiberform died. The fiberglass gets small stress cracks then water goes through the crack and the wood rots from the inside. Newer boats have plastic 4 x 6 or 4 x 8 main ribs (same as that plastic decking you can buy now) in them now so this cannot happen.

Ask for receipts for maintenance etc. Trust me, your boat will only be as good as you maintain it. Which means oil changes, tune ups, running sea foam through it in the spring if it sat. Fogging it in the Fall if it is going to sit etc. Replacing batteries fixing wheel bearings, making sure GPS equipment is sound. Buffing and waxing. The list goes on and on.

Also, If you go to look at a boat and the guys yard has sticker-bushes overgrown and a rotted old pinto in the yard probably shouldn't buy the boat.

If you are really concerned and provided the person selling the boat will allow it. Take it to a marine mechanic and have the compression checked out. If its a newer boat/motor they can just plug into it and tell you how many hours are on it, when the last oil change was if the oil gas ratio was changed (2 stroke) at one point or another, etc.

And finally, never, ever go out in the ocean without proper safety gear and knowing what the weather is going to be doing. I was only running my Fiberform out about 4-6 miles from Depot Bay for salmon and I saw God more than one time. It's a pretty freaky feeling when you go over a wave and you are surprised when you see the bow come back up. The other one that is fun is when you get 15 gallons of water sloshed over the stern. Your eyes will turn white and you WILL SEE GOD. Or you feel your boat slide down a wave frontwards or backwards from the steep angle of a wave. But keep your cool cause your the CAPTAIN... And get the heck out of there.

Hope that helps.

Tony,Thanks for all the advice It really helped.With what you had to say and my research I chose ,,,,,I bought a 96' 231 pro-line WA w/an offshore 225hp mounted on a gill bracket so the motor doesn't take up any deck space,,and only 251 hours on hull and mtr a 2014 trailer to boot....Thank's again

P.S. Practice,Practice,Practice and I'll pick a empty dock day so I don't make an ass out of myself.
    Last edited by bythesea; 03-27-2014 at 10:42 AM.

No Problem, Just play it safe...

Hello there, i am brand new to this forum and am looking forward to getting tips and help from the veterans here! I have been fishing for many years time to time but as i am getting older i want to get out more and more. I am considering purchasing a boat but i want to get some recommendations if all possible from you guys. I have narrowed it down to a cuddy, the reason is that i have a family to consider that wants to go with me but 2 girls (wife and Daughter) that gets cold easy sometimes and do not like to face the cold and rainy weather constantly, at least like my son and i do. The price is important as well, since i am looking at used boat for a biginner boat but something that will be ok to drop in the lake but does well out in the Puget sound as well. Found a 19 foot hard top Glassply that seemed interesting. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time guys.

About all I can help with is my preference is outboard motor over inboard (I/O) anytime in that size boat. You can usually find I/O for much less money though... there is a reason that.

I have a friend buying a boat similar to what you are looking for, it has an I/O. I called him recently hoping the deal has fell through... no luck on that. He will be a first time boat owner and has zero boating experience. He wanted a hard top boat to be comfortable. He has not quite figured out how little room he will have outside the cabin to fish and how hard it will be to use in the fisheries he wants to fish let alone launching and retrieving by himself.

Rah,
    Read my respose to bythesea above about glass boats.
    Tony

Tony, Tillaway, thank you for the responces, it sure makes me wonder if i should get into it at all. The only money at this point is for a used boat, so not new. If i go to see a couple, i will make sure to do some reserch on them prior and bring a flat screw driver!

Not sure what your budget is but any windshield type boat preferably aluminum hull with outboard and top will work well. When you start getting into the cuddy type boats solo trips become a pain especially so on crowded ramps.

We used to fish the sound out of a 18' Starcraft with 70 horse OB. We would run from Shilshole bay and fish off Whidbey Island in December and January... that's a pretty long run. We could also beach launch it from the Island. It was a very easy boat to use by yourself since it had a EZ load roller trailer, not bunks. We would need just enough water to keep the transom from hitting when you gave it shove and it would roll off. You could put the top up and stay warm or fold it down and the whole boat would be a fishing machine. I spent a few nights out on the water in it as well although not up on the sound in winter.

Those old Starcrafts are getting kind of hard to find, seems like a lot of people are buying them up and completely refurbishing them. You can find them in the $3k to $5K range.