Deschutes Rattlers

Here's one that should start a debate! While planning a trip with a buddy we got on the subject of crossing paths with the local fanged critter. While I have only felt the need to kill one in my many encounters with this vile animal, to close to camp for me to sleep sound that night, he shares a different opinion. "The only good snake is a dead one" he retorts. He grew up just east of Maupin and had his lab bit several years back. The pooch lived but only after a long and expensive stay at the vet. He insists that every one of them should be killed. Having been a westsider my whole life, i see them as just part of the local ecology and believe that they are more wary of you than you are of them, and although I hate snakes, i would rather just avoid them. He's not the only one I know from the area that has the same opinion. Is my view as a westsider, not having to deal with a snake threat valid, or is his as a previous local the mindset that is more accurate?

My 2 cents also as a westsider is in camp or close they die. On the trail they will usually avoid you and they do not always buzz. Caution always when exiting river in grassy or brushy areas. A wading staff is HANDY! Now ticks really scare me!

Don't like'em, never did, never will. I firmly believe in most concepts nested within "balance of nature," but I think it would be a very cool experiment to see what would happen if Eastern Oregon suddenly lost all rattlesnakes. I also dream about encounters with the Swedish bikini wax team........

My brother's friend Ron went to pull down his tent on the lower Deschutes and found one inside the tent under his mattress (nice and warm there at night...). I love nature etc., but killing the ones around camp might be a good idea. I don't think there is any lack of rattlers or that they are threatened in any way if a few are removed. They have been killed for centuries for their hides and rattles and they still have good numbers in the wild.

Tony,
    I think I recall reading (Dec Hogan or Trey Combs) about fishing with your dad, and they watched a buzz-tail slither through camp. Your dad commented, in substance, that the snakes were ok, and kept out some of the riff-raff.

Was he of that mindset when you fished with him as a kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    Tony,
    I think I recall reading (Dec Hogan or Trey Combs) about fishing with your dad, and they watched a buzz-tail slither through camp. Your dad commented, in substance, that the snakes were ok, and kept out some of the riff-raff.

Frank was always more of an avoid the problem type guy. I think Don Roberts had a black widow under his pillow once.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    Tony,

Frank was always more of an avoid the problem type guy. I think Don Roberts woke up with a black widow under his pillow one morning.

Think I would be more freaked out by the widow than the rattler!!!

Rattlers if they are big enough are very good eating.. If one slithers through camp or I run into one on the trail, good chance it will be dinner.

I am with Steel Deal - if I see a Rattler, it becomes dinner... they cook and clean easily, flake up like fish when cooked and make a fantastic filling for a Taco or Burrito. Also really good when stirred in with Potatoes, Onions and a few spices.

Don't know if anyone else has ever done it, but I waded out to an island out in the Deschutes, fished for awhile,went to leave and noticed a sign overgrown with brush...so... I went back, stomped down the brush and began wiping down the sign.
    To my amazement, the following words appeared, "EXTREME DANGER - RATTLESNAKE NESTING AREA - STAY AWAY"

And yes, I can walk on water!