Guide Arrested in Tillamook?

I heard that a fishing guide was allegedly arrested in Tillamook this past week. Does anyone know what happened?

Saw a post on Face Book that they were "party boat" fishing (everyone fishing until everyone has their limits). Apparently this is a no no. According to the post, the writer had called the jail to confirm the story. The guide wasn't named. As involves everything on the interweb, no picture, no fish.
    "the time to go steelheading is when you can find the time."
    Stan Fagerstrom from his book Catch More Steelhead

The "Party Rule" needs to be changed. It makes absolutely no sense to have a boat full of clients and when you only need one more fish to "limit out" that the whole boat has to sit with one rod out and wait for the last person to catch it. It's not fair for the guides. I am 100% on the guides side. You are trying to run a business and make your clients happy and that rule just doesn't jive with the situation. It also seems like alot of tickets are handed out in the "Tillamook" area all the time. Has anyone else noticed that?

I believe that party fishing on the Columbia is OK, but check your regs to be sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Amato View Post
    The "Party Rule" needs to be changed. It makes absolutely no sense to have a boat full of clients and when you only need one more fish to "limit out" that the whole boat has to sit with one rod out and wait for the last person to catch it. It's not fair for the guides. I am 100% on the guides side. You are trying to run a business and make your clients happy and that rule just doesn't jive with the situation. It also seems like alot of tickets are handed out in the "Tillamook" area all the time. Has anyone else noticed that?

I believe that party fishing on the Columbia is OK, but check your regs to be sure...

The guide who was allegedly arrested was (indirectly) named today on the ifish site. Hmmm. No more details, but as one person stated, it will be in the OSP report and the Tillamook Headlight-Herald soon enough.

A different opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Amato View Post

I totally agree with the party rule for the following reasons:

A limit is a limit. If I'm standing on the bank throwing bait or whatever and I limit out do I keep fishing because my buddy has not? No. So why would a guided boat have a different set of rules.

At some point we have to decide this is about sport or just the meat.

A guide that makes a living on satisfied clients "should" and often will try to balance the experience by coaching the client that is not keeping up, especially if the bite is so good that all but one has filled the limit. What was he doing when only two or three were left to fill?

Maybe the guys waiting around need to recall the day it was them that needed just one fish.

When hunting big game does the party rule exist? Is the lowly fish somehow less of a prey to a sportsman?

In this day of incrementalism, the next step just might be to phone it in.

Quote Originally Posted by jtfcons View Post
    I totally agree with the party rule for the following reasons:

A limit is a limit. If I'm standing on the bank throwing bait or whatever and I limit out do I keep fishing because my buddy has not? No. So why would a guided boat have a different set of rules.

At some point we have to decide this is about sport or just the meat.

A guide that makes a living on satisfied clients "should" and often will try to balance the experience by coaching the client that is not keeping up, especially if the bite is so good that all but one has filled the limit. What was he doing when only two or three were left to fill?

Maybe the guys waiting around need to recall the day it was them that needed just one fish.

When hunting big game does the party rule exist? Is the lowly fish somehow less of a prey to a sportsman?

In this day of incrementalism, the next step just might be to phone it in.

I guess to be more specific it would only apply to large bodies of water and you would need to be a licensed guide to be able to do it. It would not make sense on smaller rivers. Guides also take handicapped people fishing.

So maybe in these areas only:

Columbia
    Saltwater Bay Areas
    Ocean

Last October, during the Chetco Bubble, they allowed "Party Fishing" on all boats. Needs to be that way all the time everywhere.
    Keep your line tight & enjoy the fight!

When that Chetco bubble thing is open, most of those Salmon are wild, I don't think party fishing (gang rape) should even be allowed to happen...my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge