Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FREE 2016 fishing license giveaway!

Dear STSCommunity Members,

With the increased cost of a fishing license in the recent years STS is going to give away 5 FREE 2016 licenses (1 FREE license to 5 winners) to people who respond to this thread (1 year resident license/salmon/steelhead/sturgeon tags ONLY). To enter just write something about how you feel your state's fish and wildlife department could improve how it operates to create a more zen feeling for fishermen in your state. I will choose the 5 winners on December 7th 2015. If you are a winner, just mail me a copy of your license/receipt along with your address and STS will send you a reimbursement check. You must be a member and respond to this thread to enter it's FREE.

If you win mail to:

Tony Amato
    PO Box 82112
    Portland, OR 97282

Tight Lines,
    Tony Amato

License Cost

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Amato View Post

With the increased cost of a fishing license in the recent years STS is going to give away 5 FREE licenses to people who respond to this thread (license/salmon/steelhead/sturgeon tags ONLY). To enter just write something about how you feel your state's fish and wildlife department could improve how it operates to create a more zen feeling for fishermen in your state. I will choose the 5 winers on December 7th 2015. If you are a winner, just mail me a copy of your license/receipt along with your address and STS will send you a reimbursement check. You must be a member and respond to this thread to enter it's FREE.

If you win mail to:

Tony Amato
    PO Box 82112
    Portland, OR 97282

Tight Lines,
    Tony Amato

All,

Overall, I think our fish management programs are mediocre at best. I would gladly pay an additional annual fee for sea lion mitigation in the NW rivers if ODFW would take action. Paying the amount we are currently forced to pay without dedicated attention to the horrific predation by these animals is hard to swallow. Put a bounty on them, let the natives harvest them, something to help our salmon, steelhead and sturgeon recover - maybe someday we will be able to enjoy our upriver fishing like days past.

Dear Santa

Remove all the dams from all rivers, and put a screen on the White River to keep the Deschutes clear!

Your pal,

Bob
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading" Unknown

With the increased cost of a fishing license in the recent years STS is going to give away 5 FREE licenses to people who respond to this thread (1 year resident license/salmon/steelhead/sturgeon tags ONLY). To enter just write something about how you feel your state's fish and wildlife department could improve how it operates to create a more zen feeling for fishermen in your state. I will choose the 5 winners on December 7th 2015. If you are a winner, just mail me a copy of your license/receipt along with your address and STS will send you a reimbursement check. You must be a member and respond to this thread to enter it's FREE.

If you win mail to:

Tony Amato
    PO Box 82112
    Portland, OR 97282

Tight Lines,
    Tony Amato

To create the Zen feeling could be achieved in a couple of ways, take more direct moves to control the sea lions which in turn would make it more enjoyable for many people to fish for salmon on the Columbia. Put more effort forward to bring fish and wildlife programs to the public school systems. Both of these would help with an immediate problem and build a future group of people who would love the outdoors.

With the increased cost of a fishing license in the recent years STS is going to give away 5 FREE licenses to people who respond to this thread (1 year resident license/salmon/steelhead/sturgeon tags ONLY). To enter just write something about how you feel your state's fish and wildlife department could improve how it operates to create a more zen feeling for fishermen in your state. I will choose the 5 winners on December 7th 2015. If you are a winner, just mail me a copy of your license/receipt along with your address and STS will send you a reimbursement check. You must be a member and respond to this thread to enter it's FREE.

If you win mail to:

Tony Amato
    PO Box 82112
    Portland, OR 97282

Tight Lines,
    Tony Amato

I would love to see Canadian style single, barbless hook rules here, across the board.

Aside from dam removal, which will never happen for a multitude of reasons, I think they just need to admit that wild fish are the same as hatchery. In my opinion, the only difference is where they're raised. Again in my opinion, you want more wild fish, release the hatchery fry into the rivers/creeks as soon as possible.
    "the time to go steelheading is when you can find the time."
    Stan Fagerstrom from his book Catch More Steelhead

Work to protect wild fish by allowing only selective fishing techniques, particularly eliminating commercial non selective harvest techniques. Also prioritize sports fisheries which have a much greater economic impact than commercial fisheries.

Joe Slepski

I'm gonna have to add to the general consensus that there's not enough being done to control the sea lion populations. Aside from dams I think this is the most pressing issue related to conservation of our fisheries. I too agree that sport fishing should take priority over commercial fishing. I have no problem spending more money for my license as long as I know what the money is being allocated for and that the allocations are helping preserve the sport. When you hear about higher fees but then about hatcheries being shut down its a little discouraging.

Here in Southern Oregon we have removed two dams that will greatly improve our Steelhead and Coho runs. The Wimer
    and Fielder dams are now gone. We also need to start a hatch box program like we had back in the 80's and 90's. ODFW
    in my opinion needs to start listening more to guides who fish the rivers every day and get there input on water flows during spring and summer. We all want to have better Steelhead and Salmon runs and need to start working with ODFW. Some dams are actually good. We would have lost a lot of fish this summer in the Rogue without the Lost Creek Dam. The angler education program here in Grants Pass in the best in the state. Teaching 5th grade students about fishing.

The sea lions' depredation of salmon and steelhead runs has to be addressed.
    I'd also like to see ODFW provide kids with information and opportunities for fishing and hunting.

Use incentives

With the increased cost of a fishing license in the recent years STS is going to give away 5 FREE 2016 licenses (1 FREE license to 5 winners) to people who respond to this thread (1 year resident license/salmon/steelhead/sturgeon tags ONLY). To enter just write something about how you feel your state's fish and wildlife department could improve how it operates to create a more zen feeling for fishermen in your state. I will choose the 5 winners on December 7th 2015. If you are a winner, just mail me a copy of your license/receipt along with your address and STS will send you a reimbursement check. You must be a member and respond to this thread to enter it's FREE.

If you win mail to:

Tony Amato
    PO Box 82112
    Portland, OR 97282

Tight Lines,
    Tony Amato

No one runs a business to increase market share by raising prices, reducing staff, and cutting programs knowing that the customers will be driven away. Instead, why not use creative market driven ideas to increase license and stamp tax sales, save staff and programs, and increase the stature of the agency in the public eye. For example use license holders and guides to sell yearly licenses to friends and clients, set up a targeted sales structure for retailers so the more licenses they sell, the greater the commission they receive in return, and there are other ideas if you have a creative mind.

I would like to see WDFW take in to effect the millions of dollars that sport fishermen contribute to the economy every year.But the biggest thing would be write the fushinbg regs so they are easier to understand sometimes it feels like I need a lawyer to read them for me.

I'm supportive of sea lion control or management and definitely support hatchery fish for hook and skillet. I'd also like to see the agencies be more pro-active. Let us hear about the good things being done. I would also like to see less middle-management; more boots in the field and fewer in the ivory towers of administration.

I would like to see both Washington and Oregon come to a better agreement as far as the Columbia river regulations are concerned. I have fishing licenses in Washington, Oregon, and Idaho. I would like to see it where I do not have to buy a Columbia River endorsement from each state. Clean up the fishing regulations and make them understandable and efficient.

Personally I would like to see stiffer fines for snaggers and poachers. These people really piss me off when I see them, ruining my "zen". Bust them, make examples out of them, and discourage the activity.

Sea lion tags with no fee would be a good start /sarc. Yes been covered here quite a bit but as you all realize something has to be done. My guess is since federal laws are involved it would require a coordinated effort with multiple agencies at all levels (state local fed tribal). And I have to say I take a special delight when I reel in a chinook with bite marks on it;-)

drawing thoughts

If you win mail to:

Tony Amato
    PO Box 82112
    Portland, OR 97282

Tight Lines,
    Tony Amato

I would like to see an increase in upper Columbia steelhead populations on a more regular basis.

I would like to see ODFW ask and listen to Sportfishermen. They "pretend" to do this now and it doesn't leave me with a very zen-like feeling. Allow us anglers to provide input - but actually listen to this advice and act on it! I would also like to see more facilities let us fisherman volunteer to help them "create and process" more fish. Allow anglers to help in the finclipping, delivering of carcasses upriver, deliver usable fillets to foodbanks, process the eggs, etc. I know of a couple of hatcheries that do this now and everyone involved takes pride and ownership in the system.

I too, wish more could be done to cut down on predation from sea lions. I would also like to see the barbless hook rule on the Columbia rescinded, as I feel it does very little if anything to improve survival of released fish. Also, stop closing down hatcheries, the wild runs were compromised a long time ago, and the hatchery fish are vital to the sport of fishing and those who enjoy it.

As many have said already I would like more hatchery fish released into our rivers, it's hard to get the kids exited and stay patient on those cold winter days waiting for that bite. Kids now will be the license and tag buyers for Fish and Wildlife in the future, they need to be successful as kids before they lose interest and are not a repeat customer.

I would also like to see a smart phone app to tag fish, the days of a printed tag that is two feet long and doesn't fit in the little wallets is so out dated! then trying to find a pen that will write on the tag material when you need it to in the rain always is a issue, think of the savings in just the paper cost of not having to print a tag.

Brad

Would love to see the ODFW figure out what to do for what they are doing doesn't seem to be working. If they don't figure it out soon, they will price themselves right out of business, no one wants to buy licenses when there are no fish to catch. I believe it is time to clean house, but doubt the governor has the guts to do it.

I would love to see more classes and workshops available. I would also like there to be more focus on restoring fisheries.

Overall, I think ODFW does a pretty good job. However, I would like to see the broodstock hatchery programs expanded. Landing a broodstock steelhead does a lot for my Zen!

I'm pretty zen when I fish. The only thing that disrupts that is sea lions and thoughtless fisherman. Odfw could offer some suggestions for etiquette. Yes i catch alot of fish, but that doesn't mean come push me out of the hole I'm working. Or if were all hover fishing in one spot don't come troll through the pod of boats. No common sense is not very common, but it'd be nice to see odfw help new fisherman out by instilling them with some etiquette of some sort.

I have two parts.
    1. I wish CDFW would work better with and/or compel state and federal water agencies to save some more water for our fish! Yes drought sucks but it sucks worse for fish.

2. I wish CDFW would eliminate the gorilla pot grows that suck water out of the rivers, dump toxic chemicals in them, and silt them up.

Thanks,

How could the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) improve how it operates to create a more Zen feeling for fisherman in Washington? WDFW could improve how it operates if it had control of the variables that hamper there sound stewardship of Salmon and Steelhead in Washington. Some of the variables they don't have control of are offshore conditions, Federal Authorizations to remove Sea Lions and other Salmanoid predators like birds colonies, Tribal Fish Commisions , Politics and Environmental Organizations. The only variable that they do control in my opinion, which because of management causes the least impact on Salmon and Steelhead, is the license buying Sport Fisherman. So for them to create a more Zen like felling for me they need more control and cooperation of the variables that effect Salmon and Steelhead. I hope they can do it and extra support from the license buying Sport Fisherman will help. Do this by contributing to organizations that support the Sport Fisherman. Let your politicians know how valuable you, the Sport Fisherman, are to the local economy. Hey, instead of taking a kid fishing, maybe we better take a politician fishing and followup with a fresh fish dinner. Might be a better long term investment.

Are you in?

Tight Lines to All
    Steven McCombs

Looks like a one in five chance of getting a free angling license!

Hi Guys,
    I've been totally stressed out at work and spaced the drawing off. Whyare the holidays always so stressful anyway. But don't worry no one else can enter... I'll pick the winners this afternoon and post the results.
    Tony

Hi Guys,
    I've been totally stressed out at work and spaced the drawing off. Why are the holidays always so stressful anyway. But don't worry no one else can enter... I'll pick the winners this afternoon and post the results.
    Tony

Congratulations,

I had Dave, Cindy, Sheila, Christine and Lorraine pick five random names from my hat and here are the winners for the FREE 2016 Salmon/Steelehad licences:

bbud

salmonid

Cohobolo

FishMarc

Fish4chrome

PM me with your real name and user name so I don't get any posers... Then, when you get your licenses, just take a copy of the receipt and mail it to me with your return address and I will mail you a reimbursement check.

Mail it to:

Tony Amato
    PO box 82112
    Portland, Oregon, 97282