Thread: Why is that

Why is that

Ever notice how a used bug will outperform a new one? I was fishing the Williamson River in Oregon a few years ago with size 16, Pheasant-tail Nymph and I could see the giant rainbows swimming around and every once in a while we'd see a jumper, so I knew I was going through the fish. After maybe an half an hour and countless drifts through the bucket I finally got a grab, and fought and landed a beautiful, big rainbow trout. As I removed the fly I noticed it was slightly torn up, and I was excited and said to myself, “that's OK,” and started casting and drifting through the same hole again. This time, however, it only took 3 or 4 drifts and I was hooked up again, and went through the same routine. I fought the fish, landed it and released it, and noticed my little PT nymph was really falling apart. So, for the heck of it I tossed it once more, and maybe the 2nd or 3rd cast I was hooked up again, but this time I lost the fish and the beat-up fly. Then I tied on a new PT fly of the same size/color and continued to fish for about an hour before I hooked another fish, and then another and another in shorter time spans......WHY ?

I do know that some gear guys will only use quick fish and lures that have already been chewed on and have tooth marks all over them.

Some fly guys seem to think after the fish "slime" the fly it works better or is more attracted to other fish. I know when I am in Mexico, my beat- up flies seem to work better than a brand new one, but I still don't know why. Is it that I fish the chewed-up flies with more confidence? Or perhaps I pay better attention to the drift and know more of what to watch for? Just something to think about.

Carl Blackledge

I've always thought that a chewed up fly may look more like a bug "moving" in the water more. I have had similar results at times, just my theory.

It may also be that a beat up lure or fly might represent a sick or injured imitation more than a nice new one???

I wonder if it had more to do with the second and third fish being stirred up by the first one? I also think that fish get competitive, and when one eats the others don't want to miss out.

We will probably never know for sure.

I wonder if it had more to do with the second and third fish being stirred up by the first one? I also think that fish get competitive, and when one eats the others don't want to miss out.

We will probably never know for sure.